Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Want a gift card to Target?

I want to take a break from the cute Molly updates to talk about something that I think is pretty exciting.

There is a blog that I have been reading for the past year or so that has been really inspiring to me. Jody is a mom to 6 kids. She is someone who I admire a lot because of her strength, ability to overcome adversity with grace and humor and her passion for helping those in need worldwide. Often times I read her blog and feel kind of ashamed that I am not doing more to help those in need. I never know where to start and, if I'm being completely honest, I am selfish with my time and money.

BUT...that excuse isn't really a good one anymore because Jody and a friend of hers have started a new nonprofit organization called The Adventure Project. Their mission is to see worldwide poverty eradicated in their lifetime. Seems a tad ambitious, no? But they have a brilliant plan. I can't do it justice by trying to explain it here, so please go to the website and read about it. It is so cool to me that as a midwestern mom here in Iowa I can know that I am doing something that DIRECTLY benefits a mom in a developing country and allows her to safely feed and protect her babies.

So, here is how I am going to help. I am going to buy a $25 gift card to Target (I know it isn't much but who can't use $25 at Target?). If you leave me a comment on this post that you buy just one lump of coal (follow this link and you will know what that means). I have absolutely no idea how many people read this blog so it is likely that your odds of winning are quite good. If even one person who reads this blog buys one lump of coal then we have helped one family in a developing country tremendously.

Also, you can join the Tribe at the Adventure Project and learn ways that you can help with this awesome effort as well. Maybe you can put a link up on your blogs (that are probably read much more frequently than mine), or on your facebook or twitter or whatever to help even more people learn of this amazing project.

I went online tonight and bought my lump of coal and it is seriously so easy.

Okay, let's see what we can do...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as soon as housemate gets home we'll discuss who would most appreciate some coal for xmas. i'm on it.
miss you lots. wish more than anything i was still five minutes (or two doors) away. ugh. kiss that gorgeous baby girl for me.

Chef Stinson Family said...

Oh my gosh. I am totally going to do this. My mom is on board too. I can't believe that $20.00 is all it takes. Very neat and very inspiring. :)

peace.out.pink said...

buying coal for all my couples friends. Im sick of buying wine, and John told me that donating to heifer projet in their names was like giving them a jelly of the month club card. (seinfeld...lol)

If I win the giftcard I want you to use it to buy an angel tree gift.

good idea- totally posting this link on my blog.