Sunday, February 8, 2009

all you ever wanted to know...

So here is some info about baby and pregnancy. After William died this summer I had massive amounts of blood drawn (well maybe not massive, but it felt like a lot!), and they determined that I have what is called antiphospholipid syndrome (click here to learn more). They believe that this was probably the reason for losing William, but they can't be completely sure because the hospital accidently threw away the placenta before it was examined. The good news is that the treatment for antiphospholipid syndrome is successful at eliminating fetal loss. The bad news is that there could be something else that caused the baby to die. So, the course of action we are taking is to treat the antiphospholipid syndrome with twice daily injections of a blood thinner called Lovenox and frequent visits to a high risk perinatologist to monitor the baby's growth and development. We have already had two ultrasounds and gotten to hear the heartbeat 3 times. So far everything looks great. We have been really blessed to have a great team of doctors that are so understanding of our anxieties and fears. And we continue to be grateful to all of our family and friends who are so supportive.

I'll end this post with a funny picture of Harvey. I have been having some pretty bad neck/shoulder aches lately that the doctor thinks is related to stress and nerves (imagine that!) and so I've had the heating pad out. I got up to go to the bathroom the other evening and Harvey discovered the heating pad. He thinks it is great and gets annoyed when I take it from him for my own selfish use. Finally, something to get him through these cold Iowa winters.

Until next time...
Mags



7 comments:

Blog Stalker said...

I was dependent on a heating pad through much of my pregnancy too. Harvey deserves to be warm. Maybe you should buy him a sweater.

Maggie said...

He won't wear clothes...I've tried.

Rooney's Little Musings said...

I'm so glad you have a great team of doctors. It makes all the difference!

Anonymous said...

This is the cutest granddog ever and his Gammie is so darling!

Robyn said...

Continuing to pray! :)

Kiki said...

You are so selfish. You should be ashamed!

Anonymous said...

that picture is priceless! sometimes i wonder what goes on in the minds of our doggies!