Friday, July 11, 2008

Little Critter

I had an appointment with the Dr. today and the outcome worried me a little bit. I figured maybe the blog would be a good place to share my concerns. The good news is that Critter's heartbeat is nice and strong and when we had the last ultrasound (at 20 weeks) everything looked really good and normal. The scary part is that Critter isn't as big as he/she should be right now (at 28 weeks) and I have lost weight in the last 4 weeks. Overall I still haven't gained any weight since finding out I am pregnant, I originally lost 14 pounds in the first few months and have only gained 11 of them back. At my last appointment I asked the Dr. if I would get another ultrasound and she said, only if there is a problem. And today the Dr. ordered another ultrasound. He wasn't worried enough to do it today, instead we made an appointment to have it done next Friday. Now wasn't that considerate of him...I get to go through the next week wondering why little Critter isn't growing big and strong like he/she is supposed to. And, to make it even more tolerable the place where I am having the ultrasound done has a policy that they don't report the results immediately to the parents, instead they send the report over to the Dr.'s office and then I get to wait another week while they interpret the findings, whatever that means. AND, during this time apparently all of the pregnancy rules still apply so it's not like I can have a glass of wine to take the edge off.
So, while it is a possiblity that the little nugget is just petite, I am hesitant to go with that theory as it originates from rather hearty stock (aka Mommy and Daddy). However, this would fit into my plan of fulfilling my dreams to produce an olympic gymnast (I was never any good at gymnastics, but I always loved it so I have secretly hoped that one day I will have a daughter that is Mary Lou Retton Jr.). Or, perhaps the due date is off, however at all of my previous appointments the baby has measured according to said due date so now it seems that growth has slowed down. The Dr. said that this is relatively normal (relative to what?) and that all babies grow at different rates, but I still keep thinking about the fact that they don't do more ultrasounds unless they are concerned about something.
I think it is entirely possible that there is nothing to worry about and that I am being overly dramatic or something, but still...not the report I was hoping for.

2 comments:

Kers said...

Magg - I will be praying for that little Critter to grow big and strong and for peace of mind for his/her mommy & daddy. Love, Kerstin

mini and brother said...

Maggie!!!!
I'm praying for you and your little bugger. Amelia is the littlest thing ever and her parents are.... not.
I'm praying that this time flies by. I'm also a little jealous that you have been pregnant for 28 weeks and lost weight. It just doesn't seem fair.
Love you!