Sunday, March 22, 2009

St. Patrick's Day, an ER visit and our 3rd anniversary

So typically St. Patrick's day is celebrated in our family by a few green beers, you know to pay homage to my Irish ancestors. The last two years have been pretty tame however because I have been pregnant. So this year I thought I would really spice things up with a visit to the hospital. We had a pretty quiet night at home until around 9:30 when I was putting a heavy skillet away under several other heavy skillets. I think I was bent into a funny position or something and I felt a little muscle pull in my upper abdomen. It wasn't really that painful and no big deal at the time. About an hour later I think that pesky little muscle started spasming because I was convinced I was near death. My pain level was sky high and I was pretty sure the baby had burst out of my uterus and was trying to claw her way out via my sternum. Not that I was dramatic about it or anything! Anyway, after about an hour of this Mike decided it would be best to get things checked out so to the ER we went. Now, if you are ever bored on a St. Patrick's Day night around midnight, I would really recommend a visit to your local ER. We saw several poor souls dressed mostly in green suffering from various ailments ranging from bleeding faces as a result of bar fights to too-much-green beer-itis. Thankfully, the nice unit clerk wanted to save us from having to sit in the waiting room with these lovely people and had us shipped up to the labor and delivery floor. I was pretty confident throughout this whole process that everything was fine with the baby, but it was scary to be rushed back to that floor. To make a long winded story a bit briefer, I got hooked up to the monitor and everything was fine with baby. All of my blood work was fine and it turned out to be nothing more than a muscle spasm. The nurse said it was a good thing we came in though because the symptoms I was experiencing were the same as what is present with preeclampsyia. Anyway, we got to spend the first 3 hours of our 3rd wedding anniversary in the hospital, but were on our way home by 3:00am. By the next day, I felt a little sore, but overall was fine.



Speaking of our wedding anniversary, I would just like to take a moment to say I am really glad I married Mike. I have always known he is the one for me, but this past year has really made me realize how lucky I am to have him in my life as my husband and my best friend. I don't mean to be cheesy, well actually yes I do. Deal with it! Love you Mikey!








1 comment:

Blog Stalker said...

Glad you and Miss McGill are okay.

I am glad you married Mike too; I genuinely like him (and that is saying something). You are blessed to have each other.